Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Tender is the Night

Back in May, I order a beautiful flapper dress from Blue Velvet Vintage. Though I don't mind dressing a little costumey on a regular basis, I was waiting for the perfect opportunity to wear it. The weekend before Halloween, Mile and I attended "Gatsby on the Gulf" at the Beau Rivage Resort. The 1920s-themed fundraiser was inspired by the Great Gatsby and the Art Deco period.

Mike tried on a few gangster-style costumes at a Halloween store, but they all seemed very poor quality. Instead, we put together a look with a new black shirt, suspenders, vest, tie, and of course-- a fedora. I love this era in men's clothing and would love to see it return.

I am regularly a 1950's-style girl and it was fun to experiment with the Roaring 20's style. It was such a great for women in America. They were expressing their new-found freedom by cropping their hair and dropping and relaxing the waistlines of their dresses. I think the look fit my artistic sensibilities and I would wear this dress anywhere, costume party or not. The fur stole belonged to my great-grandmother who would have purchased it in the 1920s. I would love to find more casual style clothing from this period to wear ona daily basis.



Dress: Blue Velvet Vintage
Shoes: Nine West
Accessories: Amazon.com
Mike's clothing: Belk and Dillards




                         












3 comments:

  1. That dress is absolutely stunning! Looks like such a fabulous night too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Harlow! It was a great night! Think I could get away with wearing the dress out to get coffee one night?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Harlow! It was a great night! Think I could get away with wearing the dress out to get coffee one night?

    ReplyDelete